Saturday, September 17, 2005

Reading Rodin

Auguste Rodin has been one of my artistic heroes since I visited the Musee Rodin in 2001. Every few months I make the pilgrimage to the National Gallery's sculpture halls to worship The Age of Bronze. Rodin's emotional expression and belief in the "truth" of nature are a bit out of fashion these days; but for me nothing can beat the intensity of his sculpture or the delicate, erotic strength of his later drawings.

From Auguste Rodin : readings on his life and work, edited by Albert Elsen.

Rodin on drawing:
The greatest difficulty that one encounters in art, that which must be surmounted before everything else and which dominates all others, comes from the necessity of drawing well; only the knowledge of drawing permits one to compare, judge, express simplicity in fixing the essential. By means of drawing, the work takes on the power of natural things, without drawing, no truth.
Rodin on the artistic struggle:
He who, opposed, unrecognized, gives up and doesn't fight on for his personal comprehension of the beautiful doesn't deserve the name of artist. If he persists in his effort, affirming it even more strongly, he will overcome and will impose himself. In a work of art, however misunderstood at first sight, truth always asserts its rights.

3 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Joseph Barbaccia said...

Amy,

Have you been to the Rodin Museum in Philly? It's on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the largest collection of his work outside of France.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous marja-leena said...

What a coincidence! Not long ago I saw the Rodin Exhibition at the Vancouver Art Gallery. I love the quotes here (and those were in the show too). I also blogged about Rodin, in case you'd like a look:
http://www.marja-leena-rathje.info/archives/rodin_in_vancouver.php

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Amy said...

NO, I haven't made it up to Philly yet. It's on my urgent to do list. The Age of Bronze is probably my favorite work of art in any media.

Marja-leena, I'll check out your posting... thanks for the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home