Wednesday, January 04, 2006

a few of my favorite things...

Not organized enough to do a Top Ten list for 2005. So instead, briefly, some of my random favorite things from the year.

Favorite album of 2005: Lullabies to Paralyze - Queens of the Stone Age
I'm not usually a hard rock fan, but these guys are not your typical hard rock band. The album is downright chthonic, scary - but not in an evil way.

Favorite movie of 2005: well, anyone who knows me outside the blogosphere can guess this one - Serenity. If you didn't see it in the theatre (and most of you didn't) you must rent it. Don't judge the DVD by the cover (who designs these things??). The best sci-fi/dystopian/wild west/noir/zombie movie ever. What impressed me most was that the story unfolded in a way that neither the audience nor the characters knew the full deal until the final scenes. So refreshing after so many inanely predictable plots this year. Fun and heart-wrenching and thought-provoking and witty... I can't say enough. So I should probably shut up.

Favorite tv of 2005: My Name Is Earl. Just when you thought television had lost all sense of whimsy. Somehow this manages to be both absurd and sweet all at once.

I promise, I'll get to art (in the more traditional sense) tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home