Friday, March 03, 2006

Sugimoto

Been meaning to do a write up on the Sugimoto show, which has blown me away. Like I said earlier (I think?) I didn't "get" his work at all until I saw it hanging together in this exhibit. There are so many layers to discover! The sequence of the movie theatres, the buddhas, and the seascapes in particular still gives me shivers to think about.

The last room - the mathematical models, doesn't do as much for me as the earlier work. It's intellectually interesting to see the models and think about the "zen" of math, if you will, but it doesn't grab me at the gut level like the other works do. I feel similar about the dioramas and the wax works, but they tickle me more than the mathematical works.

I just happen to be reading a little book on Buddhism, too (The Wisdom of No Escape), so that might have something to do with why the exhibit has seduced me. A happy convergence.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger shoofly said...

I really enjoyed that show as well. The scale of the photographs is quite impressive!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger javier said...

Hello friends I am a foreigner visiting pages in another language, try to understand their language but it cost too much and that is why we invite you to my blog which is certainly very interesting and also a translation for your language I do this through a software sure your web is also very good, thank you very much now.

http://lomascodiciadodelplaneta.blogspot.com

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous FazzinoArt said...

It's interesting how simply a seeing a curated collection of an artists work can add context and depth...often in pop art it is necessary to go to a pop art gallery to really appreciate an artist's work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home